2. Set Privacy and Location settings for your phone operating system as follows:
For iOS devices:
Enable Motion and Fitness under your phone’s Settings>Privacy menu. Make sure the Nexx Home app has the setting next to it set as “Always”.
Enable Location Services under your phone’s Settings>Privacy menu. Make sure the Nexx Home app has the setting next to it set as “Always”.
For Android devices:
Make sure location is turned on and set to "High Accuracy". On some phones this may be worded differently.
3. Make sure to enable mobile/cellular data in your phone's settings so the app has an internet connection while not connected to your home WiFi network. To test if you have internet access on your phone through mobile data, try turning off WiFi on your phone and then open the Nexx App and see if you are able to activate the door. If you are able to, then your phone has internet access through mobile data. If the door doesn't activate, then you'll need to refer to your phone's carrier on how to enable internet access through mobile data for your phone.
4. Log back into the Nexx Home app. If you get a prompt asking for permission to allow Nexx Home access location, make sure to select "Always Allow".
5. Enable Auto Open in the Nexx Home app under Device Settings>Just Drive. Toggle the switch to the ON position and make sure to hit the Save button at the top right. If this is the first time you are enabling Auto Open, you will need to check the boxes for the disclaimer and enter your first & last name to accept the disclaimer. On Android devices, after enabling Auto Open and saving the changes, there should be an icon running in the notification tray with the message "Nexx Home is running". This needs to be active at all times for Auto Open to work. If the icon is not present in the notification tray, try logging out of the Nexx app and logging back in.
6. Set the device location by tapping on the Set Device Location button. Before tapping the button, make sure you are standing in front of the driveway as the phone will get a GPS lock on your current location and tag that as the device location.
7. Set the Auto Open radius to maximum to give the app more time to properly locate you and send the trigger signal to the device. Once the radius is set, log out and then log back into the Nexx app. Also, make sure that the map pin is showing in front of the driveway and not further inside the house. If the map pin is showing inside the house, reset the device location again (step 6 above).
Additional Auto Open Tips
The Auto Open feature is very particular to each individual cell phone and depends on the GPS hardware on the phone. The Nexx device does NOT have any GPS hardware built in.
1. Try driving up with the Nexx app active on the screen and see if Auto Open would work. If you notice that Auto Open only works with the Nexx app open, the phone may be killing the Nexx app in the background when it goes to sleep. Some phones will actively try and kill the app or turn off mobile data/location services once the phone is asleep to preserve battery life. On iOS devices, you can toggle the "Background App Refresh" option under Settings as well as make sure that the "Low Battery Mode" is OFF. On Android phones, check out this website to see a list of recommendations for your phone model for keeping the app active in the background: https://dontkillmyapp.com/.
2. When testing Auto Open make sure to drive at least a mile out before driving back as the app checks to see if you've left the general area of your device location. if it detects that you haven't left the area, then it won't trigger the door to open.
3. Have your phone in the open (not in your pocket/purse /enclosed compartment), preferably somewhere in the car where it can get a good GPS/cell signal when you are driving towards your garage.
4. Certain phone cases can prevent GPS/cell signals from going through so when testing Auto Open, it's best to do this without a phone case.
5. Make sure that you are not logged into the Nexx app on multiple phone/devices with the same Nexx account email/password. Otherwise, the system will receive GPS data from multiple sources which will confuse it and most likely trigger a false opening.
6. Log out of the Nexx app and log back in. This should restart the "Auto Open" engine running in the background.
If you continue to have issues with auto open, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with the following information for further assistance:
1. Model of your phone and the OS version
2. Your phone app logs which you can access from Nexx app menu>about devices.
3. Troubleshooting steps taken